Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Serging With Brother NV50

When I bought the Brother NV50 nearly a year ago, I was already tempted to get a serger as well.  However, I hold back,  telling myself that spending so much on a hobby is not worth it.  Plus, I can always send the cloth to the shop for serging, which doesn't cost much really.

Recently, I find that sending the cloth to the shop is a bit of a hassle as the shop assistants are always busy and I had to wait a long time to get my cloth serged.  Sometimes, I even have to come back at a later time to collect my cloth as they were just too busy to get mine done.  Seems like I will have to make do with using the NV50 to do the serging.

The NV50 comes with an edge finishing function. The down side is that it takes a long time to get the finishing done which is why I did not like to use it in the first place.  I have since, come out with a solution to this.  That is, to first sew the garment and do the finishing later, combining both pieces of cloth, thus saving time in finishing only once and not both the pieces.

There are a few types of edge finishing that can be chosen from the NV50.  For this particular piece, I chose the function no. 10.  Upon entering the stitch type at the sewing machine, it prompted automatically for the type of sewing foot needed, that is the G foot. 




Stitches 05 to 12 are for edge finishing





Screen panel of NV50 showing the sewing foot to use



Sewing Foot for Edge Finishing



To sew the finishing, the edge of the cloth needs to be aligned to the centre bar of the sewing foot.  Thereafter, one just need to start sewing.  The finishing is not as good as the conventional 3 or 4 threads serger, but it serves its function and that is good enough.





Raw Edge before Finishing





Edge after Finishing

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this tutorial! I was thinking to buy a serger too but it is quite expensive and I'm not sure if it's wort it as I'm not a heavy user. This will be good enough

    ReplyDelete